Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kitchen floor: ceramic tiles or laminate tile effect

benpost wrote:
i am considering the above for my kitchen but cant decide, tiles i
think are better quality and feel more long term/solid. laminate
probably easier to lay but not as long lasting.

has anyone experience of both of these floorings for a kitchen? the
heating pipes run under the floor so it shouldnt get too cold. its
only a small kitchen and i have just taken up the old ceramic tiles,
leaving a pretty even surface of concrete, black tar like adhesive and
some old thin vinyl style tiles (probs there when the flat was
built-30-or so years ago)

i only found one small area where the concrete was loose and this is
where heating or water pipes had been installed and is right near a
wall where there will be units so i guess i could either leave it or
fill it in with some sort of cement(?).

once i've cleared the rubble and dustpan/brushed it all (im guessing i
dont need to worry too much about dust so not planing to hoover). then
what do i do next to prepare. ive heard self leveling isnt very good.
as i did with the walls should i use pva?

Yes. I have found that PVA stabilises loose crumbly screed VERY well.
Use loads of it. It's cheap.

Don't bother self levelling for tiles. Get a GOOD quality RAPID set
adhesive - I swear by Ardex, and lay the tiles using a levelled string
as a guide, with a minimum of 4mm at the highest floor point. The cement
is very little more expensive than levelling compund, and this way it
comes out right. Mix stiff to avoid slump, in small quantities. They
really do mean rapid set.

appreciate the help and advice guys, i'm finding you lot more helpful
than the diy manual!