Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick Rick is offline

Default Electric dryer - thermal fuse question

Michael Kennedy wrote:
Sniped lots of stuff

I assume you did check the AC outlet or power wiring!

Also, older installations may have a pair of fuses, on one each leg
of the 115-0-115 V service. Sometimes, only one of these fuses blows
(possibly for no good reason) killing power to the 120 V stuff.

Thanks Sam

The AC cord (3 wire setup) and wiring block for continuity? Yes.

The 240v socket? No. How do you check it properly? 0-115 on both sides? Or
115 to 115 for 240 volts? All of the "how to" books avoid the testing
procedure for 240v outlets and I don't want to do it until I know how to
do it.

It is easy. Check it both ways. It should show 120v from hot to neutral on
one side and 120 from hot to neutral on the other side. This will let you
know that your hot and neutral is working. You can also measure hot to hot
and you should have 240v. A 240v circuit is really 2 120 circuits in 2
different phases so there is potential between them. Not sure if phase is
the correct term here, but gets the same idea.

FWIW it's a dual circuit breaker on the panel. It didn't trip when the
dryer went dead.

The breaker can be tripped and appear to be closed. You should open and
close breakers to be sure.

Mike

Hi Mike

Opened and closed the breaker several times, of course. But what does
this mean?:

Set the meter to AC 750v range. Closed the breaker. Tested black to
neutral: no reading. Tested red to neutral: In a split second "FFFZZZZ!"
and the wire inside the insulated test lead fried and shot out of the
test probe.

Needless to say I didn't get a chance to check 120 to 120. 8-)

Did all the safety stuff right, as far as I know: Insulated (rubber
sole) boots, still stood on a wooden frame instead of the concrete
floor, had someone else on hand tripping the breaker, insulated test
leads - of course. In other words, I came out of it uninjured.

Still, the circuit breaker didn't trip...

What does this mean? Ground fault problem somewhere in the 240v between
the panel and the outlet? Want to know before the electrician comes in
so we understand what he's checking and fixing.

Rick