Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charlie Bress Charlie Bress is offline

Default Electric dryer - thermal fuse question

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..

I'll venture that what you are looking at is not a real thermal fuse,
a device with a metal link that melts (fuses) when it fails. Those
will not recover at all after failure.

How could such a device provide protection? You don't want a fuse "fusing"
to a short!

More likely what you have is a thermostatic switch that opens a circuit
by the motion of a bimetal strip. These will recover when cool. Replace
it and you should be done.

Unless the thermostat is broken, how will this fix the problem? If the
dryer
has such a thermostat, and it opened, it most likely opened BECAUSE THERE
WAS AN EXCESSIVE LOAD elsewhere in the circuit. And the OP has to find
that,
and fix it.

If it is what I am thinking about it is not a fuse at all. It is a
thermostat inline with the motor and senses temperature to shut down if
there is an over temp condition. Dryers have several in various locations.
If the OP has one that is defective it may open prematurely. Take it out to
test it and it cools off and resets.

Of course, I could be all wet. I can't see the wiring diagram and have no
model info. It is unlikely that a real fuse would recover. Part of the
fuse rating indicates the highest voltage a fuse is supposed to successfully
open.

Charlie