Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default outlet/low voltage in fireplace mantel?

In article , wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm building a home and am thinking about adding a 110v outlet and low
voltage (cable, ethernet, hdmi) box to our fireplace mantel. This
would give us the option of placing a television above the fireplace
and a place to plug in our Christmas decorations, digital picture
frames, etc.

You should use two different boxes: one for the 120V, one for the datacomm.
And make sure that all wiring is well away from the firebox.

Is this something that is done with any regularity? I'm considering
either a flush brushed brass outlet or something recessed.

120V outlets in mantels are common. Datacomm, less so, but only because it's
been around less time. Go for it.

--
Regards,