Posted to rec.woodworking
lerameur lerameur is offline

Default plywood or presswood

On Jan 21, 10:58 am, Jeff wrote:
On Jan 21, 9:59 am, lerameur wrote:

hello,

I am almost finish my cutting board project, Consisting of 200 wooden
block (2 inch by 4 inch, and 2 in thick). I have glued them together,
but wanted to rest and glue this on a large piece of wood for more
support. I was thinking plywood, but a friend said to use presswood,
because it wont work like plywood.
What wood would I best use?
thanks

ken

Is this an end-grain cutting board? It sounds like it. You'll probably
want to glue those pieces in rows at a time. I'd make some sort of
gluing jig that allows you support two sides and clamp two sides.
After they come out of the gluing jig, I'd square the rows with a
jointer and table saw. Then you should be able to glue the board
together. I'm not sure why you couldn't use plywood for a gluing base.
Lay wax paper on top of it.

Hi Jeff,

The board is almost finish gluing. I did use strips , passed in the
planar to make sure it is straight.
ok here is my design, the plywood is not for building the board but
will be pernanently glued.
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TttttttttttttttttttttttttttttT
TttttttttttttttttttttttttttttT
TttttttttttttttttttttttttttttT
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
where the T are blockes with 2 inches in depth and the 't' are blocks
with a 1.5 inch in depth. The plywood is there to solidify even more.
Once it is glued, the board is flipped over and the plywood (or
presswood), is no where to be seen.
just want to know whch one to use, plywood will work in time? making
cracks on the board?
ken