Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default $#!! Ooops...roto-hammer bits

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 04:08:15 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I aquired a Milwaukee 5300 roto hammer from an estate a few months
ago. Checking the web, all evidence pointed to it being a spline
drive..using spline drive drill bits.

So I bought 4 NOS bits on Ebay, from 3 different sellers, and they
arrived over the past two weeks.
Coming home today for the 1st time in 2 weeks, I drug em and the drill
out..and ****meruning..but the drill is 7/16 HEX drive.
damndamndamndamn...$80+..and they dont farking fit.

The AEG I bought at auction also uses hex drive bits, but it came with
an adapter that accepts A-taper bits. McMaster has one for your
Milwaukee for $25, p/n 2813A41.

It's easy to turn a taper on the shank of just about any bit to fit
the adapter. I don't use the tool enough to know how well it'd work
for everyday use with large core bits, but it does just fine for my
occasional use.

--
Ned Simmons