Bill Ross

Default New Chinese mill vs old high quality mill

I'm looking at machines for a home shop where I work on a wide variety
of projects. I can't decide which way to go:

1. Get a new Chinese mill (such as grizzly, harbor freight, etc...)
2. Get an old high-end mill (Bridgeport, etc...)

Assume the machines have very similar specs (in fact, the Chinese
machine may be a copy of the Bridgeport!). Assume also, that I
wouldn't be able to afford the better used machines out there.
Compare, for example:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emNumber=G6760

These two machines both cost about $2,500.

In both cases, I would expect to spend a fair amount of work to get
the machine into good shape. The Chinese machine will come with a
variety of small problems and generally poor fit & finish -- it will
need a comprehensive overhaul out of the box. A low-price used
Bridgeport will probably also need a fair amount of work, maybe some
new parts, etc... and may be somewhat the worse for wear.

Are old mills on the market for $2,500 likely to be worn out? How
much is it going to cost to get them into good running shape? Once
it's tuned up, will the Chinese mill perform as well as the older
Bridgeport?

Thanks!
-Bill