Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Stripping kitchen cabinets, paint in grain

clipped

Oak? Slap on paint remover, let it set for about 30 min., scrub with old
toothbrush. I've never found wood
that I couldn't get the paint out of. If you still have traces of white,
you could wipe on thinned dark
brown or black paint to fill the grain and wipe off when it begins to get
tacky.

Ditto Norminn's comments. Also, some strippers for a film and are peeled
off in a sheet, pulling paint from the grain. Some of these products are
even 'green' which gets around the toxicity factor. Sorry that I can't help
with the product names but I haven't done this in a while. Standing at the
hardware store and scanning the shelves made it obvious which were which.
An easy find. Best of luck for a great outcome!

Strypeeze was my favorite for wood - semi-paste, NOT water washable.
Last time I used paint
remover, it seemed the formulations had changed some.. I haven't tried
the citrus stuff. Removing
paint from wood is a really messy project, but worth it. I did an
entire kitchen, so it can be done.
It takes 2 or 3 appl. Put it on thick and then let it work without
brushing it out. Scrape (gently).
Repeat appl., then scrub after it's worked a while. Toothpicks,
toothbrushes, steel wool to get
into stubborn spots. After the last appl. and all paint is gone, clean
up with steel wool and mineral
spirits scrub to get last of the p.r. off. Semi-paste has a little wax
in it to thicken, and you don't
want any traces of that remaining on the wood. After m.s. scrub, wipe
with paper towels and
let it dry.