Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jigsaws

Max wrote:

"blueman" wrote:

Yeah my first power tool was a $49 Craftsman jig saw back in about
1974 when I was about 12. That was actually one of their better jig
saws back then at that price.

But I almost never used it because the thing made so much noise and
vibrated so much (though at that age my parents wouldn't let me use a
circular saw). The thing also never seemed to cut either fast or
straight.

Then last year, I bought a new 1590 Bosch. It was like a tool from a
different planet. It's quiet, doesn't vibrate, cuts smooth, cuts
accurately, and cuts fast. Now I love using it.

To me that was the best indication of why it pays to invest in good
tools!

I have a Bosch 1584 AVSK and a Bosch 1591 EVSK and they both cut fast,
smooth and accurately but I wouldn't claim that they are either quiet or
vibration free.

Having had a similar Craftsman jig saw as Max, by comparison his Bosch is
absolutely silent, as is my Milwaukee in comparison to the Sears saws.
It's a matter of degree and reference relative to previous experience.