Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Jigsaws

John Horner writes:
David Starr wrote:
Nova wrote:
mac davis wrote:

I've been trying to kill my B&D saber saw for almost 30 years and
the sucker
just won't die...

Years ago I got rid of my generic Craftsman homeowner grade jigsaw and
bought a Bosch. Wow, now I don't avoid using a jigsaw! Any of the
higher level ones is likely to be a pleasure to use. Those consumer
grade jigsaws are just horrible.

I expect to still be using my Bosch in 20 years.

Yeah my first power tool was a $49 Craftsman jig saw back in about
1974 when I was about 12. That was actually one of their better jig
saws back then at that price.

But I almost never used it because the thing made so much noise and
vibrated so much (though at that age my parents wouldn't let me use a
circular saw). The thing also never seemed to cut either fast or straight.

Then last year, I bought a new 1590 Bosch. It was like a tool from a
different planet. It's quiet, doesn't vibrate, cuts smooth, cuts
accurately, and cuts fast. Now I love using it.

To me that was the best indication of why it pays to invest in good
tools!