Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default How not to wire the pool area

On 2008-01-20, jk wrote:
"MG" wrote:

First the assumption of a "floating" generator you expressed is not
guaranteed in the pictures, the source may be grounded on one side, in that
case things get complicated, the man can be touching the bottom (grounded)
and be close to the Hot side and get 220V.

That ignores the issue that the pool bottom itself is not grounded. In
fact the entire pool is insulated by the polyethylene (or vinyl or
whatever it is made of) from ground.

That depends on how old the pool is, and what it is made for.
Many of the older pools are poured concrete, which would be excellent
ground connections when submerged.

Now the instant the first idiot steps out and has a foot both in the
pool and on the ground..... Well BEST case is, he ends up feeling
like god it self, kicked him in the nuts.

With what odds that the kick in the muscles will toss him back
into the pool?

And consider the common aluminum ladders used for exiting home
pools, which might be grounded outside the pool.

Second what I wrote is based MY understanding basic physic principles,
before anybody risk THEIRS lives to verify this they should make their own
research.

Amen to that!

I know that I would not risk *my* body in such an experiment.
The odds are either electrocution or drowning after being rendered
unconscious by the shock.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564