Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] GeneCook2008@gmail.com is offline

Default My pipes froze and now did break, water all over the place...

On Jan 20, 6:33 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
Do I have to shut off my hot water tank? I never did that before. How
do I turn that thing off? How to get the water out?

I have straw outside my crawl space home to warm the pipes. I had
water dripping from the faucets so that the pipes don't freeze. I
opened the closets underneath the sinks. I had a space heater blowing
warm heat at the pipes, nevertheless they FROZE and bursted today.

I don't think that I get a plummer before Tuesday.

I shut the main water valve off.

Now, my question is: As I am living alone, would you shut the main
water valve off every day before you go to bed and empty all pipes and
open the main water valve the next morning to protect the pipes?

Is there anything that speaks against shutting the main water switch
off every day?

What I am thinking is this: If the plummer is fixing the pipes on
Tuesday, it might cost me dearly. Then he goes, the next day, they
freeze again up on me, etc. And I have to fix them again, and again,
and again, till it is finally spring.

What do you think?

Gene

Leave the water heater alone. No need to drain
it and it won't freeze anyway.

Hi Jim, but there might be still some water in it. I ran the faucets
and no water is coming anymore from them. But gas goes then in an
empty water heater? Or half empty water heater? Is that something to
worry about?

And gas is on because I also heat my kitchen with it.

Yes, you can shut the Main every night and drain
the pipes. The Main valve might wear out evenually,
but it's a risk you may have to take.

Right. I might have to buy a new one then.

The pipes which are freezing could best be protected
with "heat tape" (electrical heater) you wrap around it.

Jim

Guess I'll buy that as fast as I can.