Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Soldering eyeglass Frames

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Marsha" wrote in message ...
Pete C. wrote:

Shawn Hirn wrote:
True, but the OP could use the original lenses in new frames. There's no
law that says a frame and lenses must be sold together.

They keep changing frame shapes to prevent that (more profits). The
lenses may be perfectly fine, but it's very likely you won't find new
frames of the same size and shape if it's more than a year or two old.

When my mother's frames broke, the first shop we went to said they didn't
have frames to fit her lenses, but they could do both frames and lenses.
When I said we go someplace else, it was amazing how fast they found a
pair of frames that fit.

Marsha/Ohio

Marsha,
That's a horrible story but probably very typical. I've always suspected
that most glasses purchases are a rip-off. I can't see more than a few
dollars worth of materials and labor in a pair of frames.

The How it's Made series that runs on the Discovery Channel had an
episode showing the manufacture of eyeglass frames, as well as an
episode showing the lens manufacture. There is a bit more involved than
you probably think, and on the lens side there is some very expensive
specialized equipment involved.

Fortunately, I need only reading glasses and have never paid more than 3
pairs for $19.95! Other family members need prescription lenses and get
screwed on price all the time.

I'm pretty happy with my contacts.