Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

Default What do you look for on a woodturning club website?

You do realize that this newsgroups has NOTHING to do with Google,
right? It predates Google by years (and years). Google just carries it

Thanks for the comment since it caused me to look a little. I have
wished this group would allow pictures but assumed it was a Usenet
group back from the old days and that was why. But then why do other
'Google groups' allow pictures.? In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups
the author of the items says:

"Google provides two distinct kinds of groups: traditional Usenet
groups, and non-Usenet groups that are more similar to mailing lists.
The Google Groups user interface and help messages do not use a
distinct name for mailing-list style groups, referring to them as
Google Groups. [1]

The two kinds of groups differ both in the technology used and how
they are governed.

A Usenet group is decentralized and not hosted by any single
organization. Google archives messages posted to Usenet groups and
provides a web interface for accessing them, but many other
organizations also provide access on an equal basis. Many
organizations other than Google allow Usenet groups to be read with
news reader software that uses the NNTP protocol. Most Usenet groups
are unmoderated, which means that nobody controls who may post to
them. (See Usenet.)

A regular Google Group is hosted by Google, although some may be
archived elsewhere. These groups can be accessed using a web browser
or by subscribing to receive email, but can't be accessed using a
Usenet news reader. They have one or more owners who decide who is
allowed to subscribe to the group and whether non-members can access
the group. This form of governance is similar to that provided by many
other mailing list providers (See Mailing list.)"

I assume if someone created a 'Google group' using the link at the
bottom of this page it would be the second kind.

The Wisconsin Woodlot Owners created a 'Yahoo group' at :
and was curious if other organizations are creating 'groups' rather
than Web pages and if there were any reasons to go one way or the
other (like copyrights mentioned in another posting).