Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default OT...aluminum wheels, cold weather..............

sk wrote:
What pressure are you measuring in the leaky tire (once you notice
it's low probably less then 10 psi)? Are you in the frigid central
midwest blast? Does your road maintenance include lots of salt, this
will cause bead seat corrosion. The extreme cold can reduce the
pressure in the already leaking tire to the point there's not enough
pressure to keep the bead sealed, and then it leaks faster.
I have the same problem with a 96 dodge truck with stock aluminum
wheels, just the left rear currently, I try to maintain 40 psi.
ignator

Randy Replogle wrote:

I bought a car with aluminum wheels about a year ago and the previous
owner said that the tires leaked air slowly because the wheels being
aluminum. ???

So now the temperature here is in the single digits and one tire
especially is going nearly flat overnight. Is this normal for cold
weather and/or aluminum wheels in general?

Randy

If you're losing pressure that fast, you have something other than a
leaky wheel. I would recommend taking the wheel off the car, fill the
tub with water and fill the tire to operating pressure or slightly
higher. Immerse the tire in the water and look for bubbles. Check
closely for small nails or screws that you may have picked up before you
do that though. could save you some time and trouble. If you don't
want to screw with it, take the car to a tire shop and have them do it.
It's usually pretty cheap.

Jim