Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Soldering eyeglass Frames

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Anthony Matonak" wrote in message
mc wrote:
How about taking it to a jeweler who can use a harder, stronger kind of
solder and is familiar with metals other than the ones we ordinarily work
with?
For the cost of hiring a jeweler to fix the frames, it's quite
likely he could buy a new set of glasses.

Anthony

Have you priced prescription glasses recently? I wear a progressive lens
with anti-glare coating and darkening lenses. Typical price is about $400.
$500 at one place I checked. Actual cost is probably $20 in material.

True, but the OP could use the original lenses in new frames. There's no
law that says a frame and lenses must be sold together.

Been there, Tried that. Lotsa luck finding new frames where the lens
holes are the same shape and size. Now that Stylists design frames
instead of Engineers, and they change them pretty much constantly, the
chances of a plug-in replacement are slim at best. Unless you can find a
local lab that is willing to whittle the old lenses to fit (which would
probably cost more than new lenses), this is probably not a plausible
solution.

aem sends...