Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Creative thinking please - Need an odd item

On 2008-01-20 10:12:03 +0000, (Andrew Gabriel)
said:

In article ,
"Bob Eager" writes:

Amazing that no-one has yet produced a cat flap that reads the cat's
RFID chip, instead of the heavy magnets.

They have. One of my staff at a former job fitted one.
I think he had to import it. It reads the standard RFID
tags fitted to pets by the vets. You can program several
in (he has two cats).

That's useful to know. I was unaware that the vet ones used RFID.
Cat Mate, and a couple of others have RFID cat flaps. However, they
require the use of a tag attached to the pussycat, which is about as much
use as a chocolate teapot because they will lose them within a day; and
collars on cats aren't a great idea anyway.

The chips referred to are injected under the cat's skin and used to identify
cats found as strays. Unfortunately, they do tend to migrate around the cat,
so are not always easy to locate.

Colin Bignell