Tom McDonald

Default Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan)

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:11:26 -0500, Tom McDonald
wrote:

snip

Who did you contact about Mallery's papers? Would it help, do
you think, for me to contact them as well?

It vanished with a past computer crash. I originally wrote to the
Smithsonian and they then referred me to a person at the (?) National
archives (?). I contacted that person who referred me to another who
never gave me a meaningful response no matter how I (gently) pressed
them. I think a fresh start is a very good idea.

Eric,

Yup, I agree. I guess I have to, since your crash leaves us
bereft of stale starts :-).

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on contacting folks about
this. Wasn't there some small museum that might have received
Mallery's papers after his death?

snip

We don't know whether Ellinger is being quoted from a report, a
letter, a conversation, or what. We can't follow up on this to
see whether Mallery got it right.

I agree. I'm trying to use Mallery as incontestable proof of copper
casting. I was merely disputing the implication that Gary Coffman had
settled the matter.

Oops - I meant "I'm NOT trying ... "

I figured that. You don't suppose I'd let that pitch hang up
there if I thought you actually *meant* it as written, do you? :-).

Tom McDonald