Eric Stevens

Default Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan)

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 01:29:01 GMT, Seppo Renfors
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 06:02:01 GMT, Seppo Renfors
wrote:

Gary Coffman wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:26:52 GMT, Seppo Renfors wrote:
Gary Coffman wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:48:01 GMT, Seppo Renfors wrote:
Gary Coffman wrote:
[..]
Again, porosity is the problem, and that should show up on
radiographs, as it does for R666 (which certainly shows evidence
of being melted in atmosphere, though not necessarily evidence
of being cast), but none of the other artifacts presented show
that sort of porosity.

See:
http://www.iwaynet.net/~wdc/copper.htm

The 4th and 5th pictures down.

Those pictures do not show any evidence of the characteristic
porosity copper casting would produce.

They disagree with you as it states "The casting bubble can clearly
been seen...."

And as I note below, they are quite wrong. It is rather obvious that
they have little practical experience or knowledge about working
native copper. It behaves significantly differently from other metals
when melted or cast.

Copper is copper no matter what part of the world it is in. ALLOYS
vary from place to place. So I find it hard to accept Michigan "native
copper" is much different from that here in Australia.

Michigan native copper is 'meteoric' copper.

I really hate these poncy misleading terms like "meteoric" copper and
"native" copper when perfectly good clear terms are available to use
like "pure", "nugget", "vein"......

Hmmmm.... does that then meant that "meteoric iron" isn't really
"meteoric" or extraterrestrial at all?

Australia does have some
meteoric copper (see
http://www.econs.ecel.uwa.edu.au/AMH...ett/news21.htm) but it is
accessible in quantitities very much smaller than in NA.

Yes, this is virtually my "back yard". There has been copper mining
all along the Flinders Ranges, from North to South as well as on York
Peninsular (Moonta - Wallaroo - Kadina districts, the "copper
triangle").

But the Michigan copper and, presumably, the Balfour meteoric copper
is of an unusually high purity.

A few kilometres from here is a perfectly good diamond
pipe as well..... only they built a town over it, and the centre of
the pipe is under the local footy oval... can't disrupt the footy you
know!

The fact that they are lesser quantities doesn't really alter their
composition. CU is CU wherever it is, irrespective of quantities.

[..]

Eric Stevens