Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Creative thinking please - Need an odd item

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:01:11 UTC, The Wanderer wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:32:22 -0000, Steve Walker wrote:

Greetings -

Because our cat won't take no for an answer, we need to reinforce the
catflap against escape. The simplest solution is a slide in 'guillotine'
panel which covers the whole assembly (insert jokes about sharpened edge,
baited with tuna etc).

Nah, the simplest solution is to get a different style cat flap. The
Staywell series 700 have a slide-down barrier and cost less than £10 from
various on-line suppliers. At that sort of money, a DIY solution just ain't
worth the hastle.

The 900 series have 4 way locking: fully closed, out-but-not-in,
in-but-not-out, and fully open. We have five cats and only the three-legged
one has worked out how to open the flap to get out when it's set to
in-but-not-out - she hooks a claw into the edge of the magnetic strip and
lifts the flap until she can get her head under it, then she's gone!

How naive! :-)

When our cat wanted to get out in a hurry, and the flap was locked....he
just went straight through it. I think the OP is saying much the same
thing.

Incidentally, I'd recommend Pet Mate. They actually supply spares -
sometimes FOC, but always very fast.

http://www.diybanter.com