Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ? on rewiring lamp.

"J.Lef" wrote in message
news:Npzkj.101$ec.76@trndny02...

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message news:0Jykj.90071$Um6.
The three way function takes place at the socket. Base and line switches
just break the current at one wire to turn them off and on. I don't know
of any switches that will do what you want. Of course, using a line
switch you can turn it off and on so as long as the last setting is what
you want, there is no reaching under the shade.

Thanks Edwin. I understand what you are saying, but
when I install a line switch, which turns it on and off, I am losing the 3
way options on the the lamp socket as well. Before installing line
switch, I had 3 way. After installing line switch, I only have on and off,
no matter if I try the lamp socket, or line switch.
Can you figure whats going wrong, or are there certain
line switches for three way bulbs?
Thanks

OK, I did not understand that. What type of switch did you use? Any that
I'm aware of just break the hot wire and should have no affect on anything
else. It may be coincidence that while putting in the switch you banged the
bulb and one filament broke or something got loose in the socket. I don't
see any physical way the line switch should have any affect at all.