Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.,rural,alt.energy.homepower
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Lost Electricity -2

Steve IA wrote:
Thanks to all who have thought on this and offered your opinions.
What I've concluded so far is that this is not just my problem. At
least 10 neighbors experienced the same thing. This tells me that it
isn't just a leaky extension cord.
A 20% reduction in the # of days with electricity means that on the
days I did have power I would have had to use 20% more each and every
day to maintain the monthly average of the previous 5 years. I was
indeed 10% colder for the month of DEC 07 than average, but heating
is a small part of our (collective) electric usage. the neighbors
heat with LP, Oil , wood, or corn none use electric heat or heat
pumps.
Someone mentioned higher voltage being pumped through the lines. Does
this make sense to you who are not electrically challenged? How about
more Hz?

My plan now is to gather more anecdotal evidence (oxymoron?) and
question the REC on Monday.
1. Did they estimate Dec's reading. (or other months)?
2. What could have caused this average monthly (31 day)usage when we
were all without power at 20% of the time?

Further thoughts and notions appreciated.

I think your meter is the wind-up kind. Every month when the meter "reader"
comes by, he sticks in a special key, winds up the meter, and it runs, like
an old-fashioned mantle clock.

The meter doesn't know that the power's off.