Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default ? on rewiring lamp.

J.Lef wrote:
Hopefully some switch that can do 3 way.
So we puchased a switch, that would do on and off, but when
connected to wiring, it did its job, but we lose the 3 way. Its just
a one way. Can anyone advise, on a type of wiring switch, that
can be used to adjust 3 way, plus on and off, or at least keep the 3 way
function,
and work as and on and off.
Hope I didnt confuse anyone.

Thanks and much regards

Understand how a three-way switch and bulb work. The bulb has two filaments,
not one: a 50-watt and a 100-watt (or some other combination).

The single power line coming in to the socket is directed, via the switch,
to the 50-watt filament, or to the 100-watt filament, or to both. Hence,
three different possibilities.

Nothing you can do on the incoming single wire will influcence how the
switch is set.

Look at the base of a three-way bulb. It's different.