Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ? on rewiring lamp.

"J.Lef" wrote in message
Hopefully some switch that can do 3 way.
So we puchased a switch, that would do on and off, but when
connected to wiring, it did its job, but we lose the 3 way. Its just a one
way.
Can anyone advise, on a type of wiring switch, that can be used to
adjust 3 way, plus on and off, or at least keep the 3 way function, and
work as and on and off.
Hope I didnt confuse anyone.

The three way function takes place at the socket. Base and line switches
just break the current at one wire to turn them off and on. I don't know of
any switches that will do what you want. Of course, using a line switch you
can turn it off and on so as long as the last setting is what you want,
there is no reaching under the shade.

You may find a dimmer switch that will give you variable lighting with a
150W bulb.