Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default ? on rewiring lamp.

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 01:53:27 GMT, "J.Lef" wrote:

Hello to all.
As another weekend project came to mind, the better half and I decided to
rewire two lamps we love(circa 1970,s). Plus patch the pottery on them.
They are standard type(They look like grecian urns-and made of pottery).
They were originally 3 way, but rewired about ten years ago to one
way.
We decided we now need the 3 way back.
So we purchsed the sockets and wire, and rewired, pretty simple, and
works great as 3 way. (50,100,150)
We then decided we wanted to have an on and off switch on the wire at
base of lamp, so we dont have to reach
under shade to turn on and off.
Hopefully some switch that can do 3 way.
So we puchased a switch, that would do on and off, but when connected
to wiring, it did its job, but we lose the 3 way. Its just a one way.
Can anyone advise, on a type of wiring switch, that can be used to
adjust 3 way, plus on and off, or at least keep the 3 way function, and
work as and on and off.
Hope I didnt confuse anyone.

Thanks and much regards

I don't see how you could have affected the switching of the lamp that
works as a 3-way by adding an inline switch in the lamp cord.

I could be wrong. It happens regularly.

Are you sure you are using a 3 way lamps?