Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default Electric dryer - thermal fuse question

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 01:18:22 -0500, Rick wrote:

:Hi
:
:Our Sears electric dryer went completely dead about 2 seconds after
ressing the "push to start" button. Completely dead - as in no power
:even to the 10 watt light inside the drum.
:
:I've located a 196 degree thermal fuse in-line to the motor that could
:be responsible for complete power loss to everything 120v if it's gone
:bad. With both leads disconnected I'm getting a reading on that thermal
:fuse that flips between .5 and .6 ohms. (Lowest scale on the meter I
:have on hand is 200 ohms.)
:
:To my knowledge I should be reading zero ohms if the fuse is good. Is a
altry .5 ohm reading enough to indicate that a thermal fuse is bad?
:
:Thanks
:
:Rick

There is nothing wrong with the fuse then.

Just try shorting the test leads on your meter and you will probably read
something like 0.2 Ohms resistance anyway. Unless your meter has a "ZERO Ohms"
function you can't compensate for the lead resistance.