Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_2_] Hawke[_2_] is offline

Default Bush exempts Navy from environmental laws

"John" wrote in message ...
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

9000 mile limit - phooey!

Never heard of refueling away from home?

Kwajalein atoll was a mid Pacific refueling station for Japanese subs
during
WWII. They were able to refuel under water. I know this as I lived
there and
have had a swim in a large tank of fuel that has a deep rain water layer
over
the fuel.

It would be easy as punch to have a tanker, a cargo container ship or
another
to be a tanker - refuel and then trash at sea the fuel tanks and come to
port.

They might not come to our port but a trading partner along the way.
They might have a one way trip planned on something like that - figuring
we find them after the fact. Think of the 15 year old body bombs.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
Crap cut

Ned Simmons wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:16:52 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

WHAT? ANY SUB is long range and ocean going! Never heard of WWII in
which a LOT of German subs (far less capable than the ones that North
Korea and China have now) did a lot of damage and threatened the
WORLD. Maybe you missed that little fact. How about a conventional
missile launched into D.C.! They have that ability NOW. Maybe you
don't think that the U.S. should stop that? How about if they decided
to target a few of the U.S. coastal bases? Think a few torpedoes into
Groton might cause a problem? Maybe another Pearl Harbor attack? All
very possible with the current crop of Diesel/Electrics that Russia
has been building and selling off.

Got any specifics on those claims? All I can find says North Korea's
sub fleet consists of approx 20 1950s technology Romeo class
diesel-electrics with a 9000 mile range, and a similar number of
smaller Sang-O coastal subs with a 1500 mile range - nowhere near
enough to reach Washington DC or Groton. And no mention of missile
launching capability.

What a load of crap! Get your paranoid head out of your ass and face
reality. With ****wits like you populating the US, no nation needs to
attack the US, idiots like you are doing the job for them. When the
**** settles, China will buy you for 5 cents on the dollar.

Amen! You got people arguing about what North Korea could do to the US. In
military terms the answer is nothing. Besides, all an attack on the US by
Korea would do is get them obliterated by nuclear weapons. I'm amazed that
people seem to have forgotten what deterrence is all about. Sure the world
is full of idiots and crazies around that would love to do all kinds of evil
things. But they don't because of what would happen to them if they did.
It's why we have nukes and it's called retaliation. Do something bad to us
and you all die. If you can back it up that works very well in the real
world. We can back it up. We have 10,000 nuclear weapons and the means to
deliver them anywhere we want. We really don't need much more than that
militarily. Certain nuclear annihilation will do a lot to keep people in
line even when they are crazy.

Hawke