Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Are higher grade bolts more brittle? (OK Ed, I think you're mostlyright)

Ned Simmons wrote:

It's just not true that the joints in structural steel must always be
designed such that the joint will never slip. It may have been true,
due to conservatism, early in the transition (in the 1950s & 1960s)
from rivets to bolts in steel erection. But even when I took my
structural courses in the early 70s there was a design procedure for
joints where the bolts bear on the periphery of their holes.

It appears the use of bearing connections has become much more common,
and accepted in more situations, in the last 35 years. This is the
AISC spec for bolted joints. Section 4 includes comments on the
history and suitability of bearing connections.
http://www.boltcouncil.org/files/200...cification.pdf

(I don't mean to single you out, Chris. This has come up several times
before and is another candidate for the RCM dogma file. g)

Thank you, Ned.
Fascinating...

I wonder if the whole argument is not explained on page 9 of that doc?

Hydrogen embattlement of hot dipped galvanized bolds???

The "brittle" hard bolt legend (not myth?)...

Richard