Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.,rural,alt.energy.homepower
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Lost Electricity -2

"Steve IA" wrote in message
Thanks to all who have thought on this and offered your opinions.
What I've concluded so far is that this is not just my problem. At least
10 neighbors experienced the same thing. This tells me that it isn't just
a leaky extension cord.
A 20% reduction in the # of days with electricity means that on the days I
did have power I would have had to use 20% more each and every day to
maintain the monthly average of the previous 5 years. I was indeed 10%
colder for the month of DEC 07 than average, but heating is a small part
of our (collective) electric usage. the neighbors heat with LP, Oil ,
wood, or corn none use electric heat or heat pumps.

Someone mentioned higher voltage being pumped through the lines. Does this
make sense to you who are not electrically challenged? How about more Hz?

The frequency (HZ) is very closely controlled. It may vary slightly during
heavy loads or periods of light loads. Over a months time, it will average
almost exectally the same. If it did not , the clocks would all be off by
some large ammount.

It is doubtful they could raise the voltage enough to make that much
differance without causing lots of problems such as burnt out light bulbs.