Default Isolation switch wiring convention

In uk.d-i-y, ARWadsworth wrote:

You could buy some new tails. Only a few quid.

..but you'd need to break the meter seal (or get the leccy board to do it)

to connect them.

I think this group has been down this road many times. At the end of the
road the tails do belong to the owner of the house not the leccy co.

Common experience is that the supplier doesn't fuss about the seals on
the *main fuse* being broken - safety gains of doing so when replacing
a CU far outweigh chance of objection from supplier. (Anyone tapping in
to their supply through the fuse carrier is a prime candidate for a
Darwin award, right? No, I won't repeat the allegedly-true story of a
colleague in his roadie days performing an impromptu in-situ copper-weld
to connect up the lighting rig to the main supply panel at a continental
gig location wot had no convenient place to make a Proper connection and
the minutes to first soundcheck ticking away...) Supply companies are a lot
*less* relaxed about the meter seals themselves, as breaking that seal
allows a "safer" bypass of the meter (an illicit use for a Henley block!)
and possible fiddling with the meter adjustment. Thus-and-therefore,
many of us d-i-y'ers are reluctant to fool with the meter tails, even
though they indeed belong to us...

Stefek