Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Squeaky Furnace

On Jan 19, 2:47*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
lagman wrote:
I started noticing a really bad squeaky sound coming from the
furnace. *It usually happens right away when it kicks on, then goes
away after it has run for a while (but sometimes it will start at
arbitrary times).

I assume I need to oil something but I'm not sure what and what type
of oil to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

When my last furnace started "squeaking"
* it was caused by the blower
squirrel cage, literally coming apart at
the welds. * It started like a
sizzling/squeaking sound, but then,
after some time, it got very loud and
annoying. *I was able to replace the
blower squirrel cage to fix the
problem.

My old clunker had oil cups on the blower and oil ports on the motor,
newer stuff is sealed bearings you cant oil. Maybe a loose belt. I
think any oil is good, except cooking oil, although once as a kid I
put mazola in the mower. Oil if you can but sound going away sounds
like a belt if you have one.