Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Rich is offline

Default hole in my floor?

The purpose of the square hole in a floor is so a drain can be fitted for
what ever need without having to break up the floor. I had one in my
floor for tub placement so it was a little more flexible than just HERE IS
WHERE YOU WILL PUT THE DRAIN!

Rich

Nate Nagel wrote:
Started another home-improvement project today - removing the ancient,
painted-over, peeling-up peel and stick vinyl floor tiles in my
laundry room. Underneath the clothes washer I found a hole in the
slab - looked to be intentional, about the size of a 1x2 board. perfectly
rectangular and appears to go all the way through the slab.
I've never seen anything like it before, what could its purpose have
been? To prove to the new homeowners the thickness of the basement
slab? Should I just foam it up or does it provide some other useful
purpose?
I'm gonna be hating life tomorrow... all sorts of hideous, dusty filth
was collecting under the tiles, although once I get it done I can
scrub the slab clean and enjoy an actual clean basement.

Why is it that every home I move into has a filthy basement and I end
up having to don hazmat gear to clean it up and make it pleasant
again?
nate