Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default hole in my floor?

Started another home-improvement project today - removing the ancient,
painted-over, peeling-up peel and stick vinyl floor tiles in my laundry
room. Underneath the clothes washer I found a hole in the slab - looked
to be intentional, about the size of a 1x2 board. perfectly rectangular
and appears to go all the way through the slab. I've never seen
anything like it before, what could its purpose have been? To prove to
the new homeowners the thickness of the basement slab? Should I just
foam it up or does it provide some other useful purpose?

I'm gonna be hating life tomorrow... all sorts of hideous, dusty filth
was collecting under the tiles, although once I get it done I can scrub
the slab clean and enjoy an actual clean basement.

Why is it that every home I move into has a filthy basement and I end up
having to don hazmat gear to clean it up and make it pleasant again?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel