Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bush exempts Navy from environmental laws

9000 mile limit - phooey!

Never heard of refueling away from home?

Kwajalein atoll was a mid Pacific refueling station for Japanese subs during
WWII. They were able to refuel under water. I know this as I lived there and
have had a swim in a large tank of fuel that has a deep rain water layer over
the fuel.

It would be easy as punch to have a tanker, a cargo container ship or another
to be a tanker - refuel and then trash at sea the fuel tanks and come to port.

They might not come to our port but a trading partner along the way.
They might have a one way trip planned on something like that - figuring
we find them after the fact. Think of the 15 year old body bombs.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:16:52 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

WHAT? ANY SUB is long range and ocean going! Never heard of WWII in
which a LOT of German subs (far less capable than the ones that North
Korea and China have now) did a lot of damage and threatened the WORLD.
Maybe you missed that little fact. How about a conventional missile
launched into D.C.! They have that ability NOW. Maybe you don't think
that the U.S. should stop that? How about if they decided to target a
few of the U.S. coastal bases? Think a few torpedoes into Groton might
cause a problem? Maybe another Pearl Harbor attack? All very possible
with the current crop of Diesel/Electrics that Russia has been building
and selling off.

Got any specifics on those claims? All I can find says North Korea's
sub fleet consists of approx 20 1950s technology Romeo class
diesel-electrics with a 9000 mile range, and a similar number of
smaller Sang-O coastal subs with a 1500 mile range - nowhere near
enough to reach Washington DC or Groton. And no mention of missile
launching capability.