Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Question: Temp reached by black anodized aluminum in direct sun

Bit more data. Temps are all F. Part is near base of
cylinders on V-twin motorcycles, in air stream, nowhere near
exhaust. My partner has had one on his bike for year, but
various things kept him from riding anywhere near as much as
he wanted. However he did get one good freeway run in and
gave the aluminum the bare hand check, was easily able to
hold his hand on the part though it was hot.

UV should not be a huge problem, only a very small portion
of the glue joint is exposed.

We're going to build a test rig and see just what's the
worst tensile load we can foresee the most ham fisted ****ed
off drunken yahoo applying.

I think I will just go ahead and ship some parts out to my
friend in Oz and let him collect some temp data from solar
radiation. I'll fab a fixture to hold the part a ways from a
decent scrap of aluminum to account at least partially for
heat coming off the engine.

Does anyone know of a source for temp recording strips? That
would be easiest. I know I looked for something like this a
year or so ago, never really found what I was looking for.

I'm referring to the ones that change color based on temp,
and they don't change back when cooled.

We might be just worrying about nothing, but without the
ultimate tensile load and temp data, we just don't know.
I am 90% certain we don't have a problem, but don't want to
hang the reputation of a new company and product on that 10%....

Jon