Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Well, thanks for finding it. I'm sure it will find a home, given how
common this problem is, so the effort will not have been wasted.

The bushing in the lower pulley on my machine is brown. Perhaps someone
before me replaced the bushing. And forgot to tighten the setscrews.

My understanding is that upper and lower pulleys take the same bushing.
In my manual, only one part number (049-088) is given.

I wonder what the green coating is. Acetone makes it sticky, so it is
not teflon. Nor does it feel like teflon.

No idea, there was no greenish stuff in evidence when I took that pulley
apart.

It turns out that the damage is largely to the end of the motor shaft,
with little damage to the pulley. As mentioned in another posting,
after some hi-spotting and careful filing of high spots on the motor
shaft (right near the keyway, which had become funneled and bulged), it
went back together properly, and there is very little residual wobble.

Good for you.

Is there any way to oil the sleeve bearings in the motor? Or a need to?

Usually sleeve bearing equipped motors have some sort of lubrication
means, oil cups or grease zerks. There's zerks on the old motor, it
still coasts for some time when given a good spin by hand.

If it turns out you need these other parts we'll work something out. I
need a little something for them to help defray VFD conversion costs

That would be fair, although I don't yet know what I will need. Who
knows what else I will find as I learn this machine, repairing things.

One thing to check is the balance spring under the speed adjuster, it's
a flat clockspring in a housing. Mine was broken when I got the
machine, I 'fixed' it which lasted for awhile until it let go again.
The speed adjuster works without it but requires more force to adjust. I
acquired a used one via ebay but hadn't got around to installing it when
a good deal on a VFD came along.

Joe Gwinn

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.