Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble

In article ,
Paul wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Well, I today took the bottom pulley assembly of the varidrive apart,
the part that is attached to the motor shaft, and that wobbles badly.
The wobble is not caused by the plastic bushing at all. It and the
green coating are just fine. (The green coating did have a few score
marks parallel to the shaft, probably from some grit that somehow got
inside.)

snip

Anyone have any other ideas?

Joe Gwinn

Joe

Wish I would have seen this before I went to the shop today. I did find
the spare plastic bushing, it's a red or maroon plastic and I'm
guessing that it's the piece for the movable motor pulley half.

Well, thanks for finding it. I'm sure it will find a home, given how
common this problem is, so the effort will not have been wasted.

The bushing in the lower pulley on my machine is brown. Perhaps someone
before me replaced the bushing. And forgot to tighten the setscrews.

My understanding is that upper and lower pulleys take the same bushing.
In my manual, only one part number (049-088) is given.

I wonder what the green coating is. Acetone makes it sticky, so it is
not teflon. Nor does it feel like teflon.

If the damage is to your fixed pulley half and not to the motor shaft I
do have the complete motor pulley assembly (I haven't tried to remove
the fixed half from the motor shaft as of yet). I also have the
original motor but it probably needs new sleeve bearings, side to side
play is undetectable but it probably has about 5 thou vertical play, as
a guess. It's heavy and shipping would hurt.

I have most all the other drive and hydraulic parts available as well.

It turns out that the damage is largely to the end of the motor shaft,
with little damage to the pulley. As mentioned in another posting,
after some hi-spotting and careful filing of high spots on the motor
shaft (right near the keyway, which had become funneled and bulged), it
went back together properly, and there is very little residual wobble.

Is there any way to oil the sleeve bearings in the motor? Or a need to?

If it turns out you need these other parts we'll work something out. I
need a little something for them to help defray VFD conversion costs

That would be fair, although I don't yet know what I will need. Who
knows what else I will find as I learn this machine, repairing things.

Joe Gwinn