Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Creative thinking please - Need an odd item

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:04:26 UTC, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

Alternatively, could you not just put a simple bar across, near the bottom,
to stop the flap opening? This could be pivoted one end so as to swing out
of the way when necessary, with the other end pushed into a simple bracket
when you want to keep the flap shut - or maybe two, a parking bracket and an
operating bracket.

Our cat would have taken the hinges out in that situation.

Alternatively yet again, doing a quick Google for 'cat flap' suggests that
there are locking cat flaps - which may fit the bill

I suspect he's already tried those.

- and those which only
respond to *your* cat by reacting to a magnetic gizmo on its collar. So,
presumably, if you remove the collar, the flap won't open when the cat
approaches.

Yes, but they generally only lock in the 'inward' direction. We thought
of something like that but it didn't work for that reason (we were
trying to keep one cat in but allow the other to go out).

Amazing that no-one has yet produced a cat flap that reads the cat's
RFID chip, instead of the heavy magnets.

I wonder about a simple flap, same size as the cat flap, hinged
horizontally about the flap. Two turn buttons or similar, one to hold it
up out of the way, and one (perhaps a bit more complex since cats can be
very dextrous) holding it shut over the cat flap.
http://www.diybanter.com