Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Creative thinking please - Need an odd item

Steve Walker wrote:

Greetings -

Because our cat won't take no for an answer, we need to reinforce the
catflap against escape. The simplest solution is a slide in
'guillotine' panel which covers the whole assembly (insert jokes
about sharpened edge, baited with tuna etc).

I have various types of stout thin board, that's not a problem. But
I need some J-Channel to slide it in and out of. Something like
10-20mm wide at the back, and 5-10mm wide at the front, and able to
accept a 3-4mm board sliding in. Two lengths of 250mm would be
adequate, sturdy plastic or aluminium would be ideal.

I've seen similar stuff on the back of self assembly furniture, to
hold the hardboard back on. Common-sense says there's probably some
way to scavenge or convert it - cut-down electrical trunking, alloy
channel for fixing greehouse glass or summink?

Ideas very welcome...!

I don't know about J section, but you should be able to get some U section
aluminium extrusion from a metal stockist. Assuming you want to screw it to
the door, you can drill some holes in the front face of the channel big
enough to get the end of a screwdriver through.

Alternatively, could you not just put a simple bar across, near the bottom,
to stop the flap opening? This could be pivoted one end so as to swing out
of the way when necessary, with the other end pushed into a simple bracket
when you want to keep the flap shut - or maybe two, a parking bracket and an
operating bracket.

Alternatively yet again, doing a quick Google for 'cat flap' suggests that
there are locking cat flaps - which may fit the bill - and those which only
respond to *your* cat by reacting to a magnetic gizmo on its collar. So,
presumably, if you remove the collar, the flap won't open when the cat
approaches.

Now I've run out of creative ideas - sorry! g
--
Cheers,
Roger