Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default A tip for current measurement with DMM ?

Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
Meat Plow wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:42:46 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
N Cook wrote:
Can anyone improve on the following especially reducing, even

further,
the chance of mistakingly using a meter set for current monitoring on
live kit , thinking you are measuring voltage.
Assuming others here are like me, rarely use the current function of

DVM/DMM. Leave a gummy bright or contrasting sticker over the ammeter
socket of the meter. When transfering the red lead to that socket

then
transfer the label to the function or on/off switch.
The ideal would be some sort of mechanical interlock but I cannot see
how.
My Fluke says 'lead' on the display when you change. Hasn't stopped me
blowing a fuse though. ;-)
Same here. I've blown a few fuses in my 77.

Its not the blowing of a meter fuse that I'm concerned about. Its

shorting
some expensive bit of otherwise working kit that I'm wary of.
I've not done it for a long time but there could so easily be some time

in
the future, probably pushed for time, and there will be a big flash and

bang.

I am in the happy position of having several decent meters, one of which
I use exclusively for current measurements. It has croc clip leads.

It`s very rare that my favourite Flukey gets switched to amps - So
there`s your answer, buy another meter just for current, fit it with
croc clips to remind you do to go poking around circuit boards with it

Ron(UK)

That seems the easiest solution, with permanent blanking off the current
sockets of the one used for Vac & dc ,R , and D test only. I will see if my
old Beckman or whatever it is is still working order.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England