Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default What do you look for on a woodturning club website?

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:32:27 -0800, charlieb wrote:

Hey Charlie, since ya ask...

I was looking at AZ turning clubs this morning, looking for someone who might
guide me to a local source of bandsaw blades/ saw shops..
Few had addresses, none had a list of the cities they covered..

As the new webmaster of the Silicon Valley Woodturners club
I'd like to know what you look for on a woodturning club website?

Mostly links and ideas... and when I was in a club, how they were organized..

Are you willing to download a 3 or 4 meg PDF newsletter?

Not usually.. unless I lived in the area and knew the folks that the newsletter
was about..
OTOH, maybe it would save on postage if the members could get the pdf and no
snail mail involved?

Do you look for How To stuff or prefer to peruse plenty of photos of other folks work?

How to, and especially your specialty, tips/tricks.. after all, we're (the AAW)
a learning/recruiting body, right?

What about reviews of stuff - turning videos/DVDs, turning tools
and accessories, lathes etc.?

Not me personally, because I get that here, but it could get member
participation up by having members do reviews..

I noticed a trend this morning.. Most sites have 1 or 2 folks that give all the
tips and reviews.. Typical all over?

Would like to make svwoodturners.org a resource for other turners.
You're input would be much appreciated.

charlie b

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing