Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy Canchippy is offline

Default What do you look for on a woodturning club website?

On Jan 19, 1:32 am, charlieb wrote:
As the new webmaster of the Silicon Valley Woodturners club
I'd like to know what you look for on a woodturning club website?

Are you willing to download a 3 or 4 meg PDF newsletter?

Do you look for How To stuff or prefer to peruse plenty of photos
of other folks work?

What about reviews of stuff - turning videos/DVDs, turning tools
and accessories, lathes etc.?

Would like to make svwoodturners.org a resource for other turners.
You're input would be much appreciated.

charlie b

Charlie,
First you have to meet the needs of your Guild members and it is them
you should be asking.
I have quite a collection of bookmarks and links to Guild sites and
have to say I rarely visit them more than once. Mainly they seem to be
clones of each other and apart from some slight content differences,
once you've seen one you've seen them all.
Perhaps your Guild members would like a directory of local suppliers
and services that members can add to. Also allows the Guild to contact
the businesses with good user ratings to set up discounts for Guild
members and also promotes local awareness in the business community
that your Guild exists.
There are some good ideas that jump out and hit you once in a while
and this site has one.
http://www.forestofberewoodturners.org.uk/
I'm talking about the International Competition. If ever there was a
good way to draw repeat visits this is it. The rest of the site is the
same old hohum stuff. I agree with other comments about updating the
site, this is one of my biggest complaints about most sites, my own
included.
Good luck with your new site and I will bookmark it when you get it up
and running.