Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Question: Temp reached by black anodized aluminum in direct sun

Jon Anderson wrote:
I am working on product that is comprised of aluminum sleeves affixed to
carbon fiber tubes with structural adhesives. We have tensile tests that
show we have more than enough strength for normal use. However, I am
looking at the 200 degree service limit for the adhesive and wondering
just how hot this part might get say, sitting in the sun out in Phoenix
in the middle of summer.....

Phoenix??!!!!! Summer!!! Black metal sitting in the SUNNNN??

I think you are in trouble. I can't absolutely guarantee a
flash to steam, but if I took a black aluminum plate and set it
on my driveway on a hot summer day in St. Louis, I think I could
get close to sizzle.

If your adhesive BEGAN to lose strength at 200 F, You might have
a chance. If it must NEVER exceed 200 F, I'd say you're sunk.
No WAY can you guarantee it will hold (whatever) together under
these conditions.
It's winter here in Calif. so hard to collect data. I might ship some
parts off to a friend in OZ to collect data as it's summer there. But
thought I'd ask if anyone here might have done any testing of this
nature and know.

There are outfits that can supply "sun simulators" for this kind
of testing. You can probably set up a couple 1000 W mercury
vapor lamps at the right distance and do it yourself. There
ought to be some kind of reference to this on the net.
I have approx 3/4"dia by 2" long aluminum, bonded to 1/2" carbon fiber.
This resides near an engine, so worst case would likely be a hard run
through the desert, then being parked with this part in direct sunlight
while taking in heat from the engine.

What? You are throwing in heat from an IC engine, too? Hell,
the exhaust can get to maybe 1500 F!

Jon