Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Using oil emulsion cutting fluid for hand tapping

In article ,
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Joseph Gwinn writes:

Not so fast there. The term "chlorinated paraffin" (CAS 63449-39-8)
covers the range C10 to C30 (10 carbon atoms to 30 carbon atoms in the
molecule), while SCCP (Short Chain Chlorinated Paraffin) covers the
range C10 to C13. So C14 to C30 is OK.

My understanding is that the CAS number is qualified as short chain, not
waxy, paraffins.

As mentioned in my prior posting, see
http://apps.kemi.se/flodessok/floden/kemamne_eng/klorparaffiner_eng.htm
for more information. In the facts column to the right, CAS 63449-39-8
is the term for chlorinated paraffin (or hydrocarbon) *wax*, the
implication being that longer chains are used.

Nevertheless, the word "paraffin" here means an alkane, not wax. Kerosene
is a blend largely of paraffins in this sense.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin

I fail to see the relevance. We have a CAS number, which is far more
precise than the general word "paraffin".

Joe Gwinn