Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default Arrrggghhh!!

The message
from Appin contains these words:

Difficulty in understanding that open doors, windows etc. will cause
thermostats to call for more heat and therefore drive up the fuel bill
seems to be more common among women.

I don't believe that this statement reflects anything more than your own
experience, you can't possibly know about all other women. The supporting
opinions from other men on this ng are insufficient.

Of course it reflects more than my own experience -- I wasn't the first
or the second to make the point.
It reflects the experience of many of us, however varied our wives may be.

I think you're in a minority on this issue. It's you against the weight
of evidence thus-far adduced.

ISTM that there is a widespread view that men and woman tend to have
different strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps the most widely observed of
these are that woman can multitask (talk, read and knit all at the same
time) much better than men but have a poor spatial awareness (can't
reverse a car nor navigate generally).

There are of course exceptions to these stereotypes but the One Show
(IIRC) on BBC1 a few weeks ago had an interesting take on the subject.
The argument there was that the differences are down to the level of
exposure to testosterone in the womb and the so called male and female
brains are by no means confined to their actual gender. A simple test is
apparently all it takes to establish the gender of your brain and the
test, rather bizarrely is the ratio between the lengths of your index
and ring fingers. Ring finger longer than index - male, shorter female.
The more pronounced the difference the more skewed the persons
abilities.

--
Roger Chapman