Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default CRT HV wire repair ?

"robb" wrote in message

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:wZ8kj.2039$5h6.1213@trndny09...

"robb" wrote in message

What kind of CRT is this that the wire is soldered on? I've

never seen on
that didn't have a metal cup that the wire just clips into, not

saying they
don't exist, but I've yet to ever come across one.

out of a Tek o-scope

robb

Personally, I think that at last initially, I would feel inclined to leave
the factory connection to the good CRT alone, and go down the splicing
route. If you do a really nice job of soldering the two wire tails side by
side with a generous 'blob' of solder to make sure that there are no spikes,
you shouldn't have an intitial problem with corona discharge. When you are
happy with the solder joint, use a piece of insulation sleeve, slit
lengthwise, to cover the join. Before making the soldered joint, slide a
couple of lengths of hetshrink tubing over the lead. When you have your slit
tubing in place over the joint, work a bit of silicon rubber into the slit,
around the joint, then shrink the first piece of tubing over the whole
joint. When that has cooled down, slide the second (slightly longer) piece
over the whole lot.

I have spliced several high voltage wires of various types over the years,
using basically this method, and have never had a problem. And at least if
it doesn't work for you, you've then still got the damage-riskier option of
trying to get a good bond at the actual CRT connection.

Arfa