Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default What do you look for on a woodturning club website?

In message , charlieb
writes
As the new webmaster of the Silicon Valley Woodturners club
I'd like to know what you look for on a woodturning club website?

Are you willing to download a 3 or 4 meg PDF newsletter?

Do you look for How To stuff or prefer to peruse plenty of photos
of other folks work?

What about reviews of stuff - turning videos/DVDs, turning tools
and accessories, lathes etc.?

Would like to make svwoodturners.org a resource for other turners.
You're input would be much appreciated.

charlie b

I am a webmaster of a site in a different field which has sat at the top
of Google for the last 8 years, and I do not provide a news letter.

Depending if the content will contain personal information or not

What I would suggest is to Not have a news letter as such, but to have a
News section on the website. Which you just add new articles to, or
point to new additions to the website with a small intro. Members can
then choose to visit as they want and see the news they want. This will
first make maintenance of the site content easier, and secondly reduce
the large download, or mailing.

If you want you could then do a one liner email stating that the news
has been updated.

It really depends on if you want the site content publicly available or
restricted to members

I don't know if you use a content management system, but if not I would
recommend Drupal as a starting point. You can define who can access what
on the website. So visitors get a small view, members the whole view.

If you want to know more let me know and I will contact you privately,
as you probably guessed this email wont work

--
John