Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Portable car jump starter.

Terry wrote in
:

On Jan 18, 5:47 pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 18, 4:16 pm, Terry wrote:

I have a Black and Decker 450 amp jump starter.

The car battery was dead because the lights were left on. I wanted
to use the car in the morning. I took the battery charger and put
it on the battery, the night before, intending to trickle charge
it.

The next morning the car would not start and there was no juice in
the charger.

I am guessing that the jump starters are not intended to trickle
charge, although I don't see why.

Its a jump starter, booster, not a charger, and by B&D not known for
quality, buy a 110v charger.

It is an emergency jumper/pump intended to be kept in your car and
used on the road where there is no 110V

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...s.aspx?Product
ID=15582

It is pretty handy in the hands of someone that knows how to use it.
I have needed the jump start and the tire pump on the road.

I think it is a good product.

it's garbage.
all it is is a 12v,19 amp-hour gel cell in a fancy package.
They sulfate if not kept float charged,and then will not accept or hold a
charge.Keep it in your car,and it will degrade and not work when you need
it. Can you even charge it when it's in your car?
(BTW,I couldn't even view or DL the user manual from the B&D or DeWalt
sites.)

You can buy a better 12v tire pump from Harbor Freight for $26,it plugs
into your cig lighter. (a recently new product) 96068-1VGA ,the others are
junk. It was on sale at my local HF store for $18.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik