Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_2_] Tom Horne[_2_] is offline

Default Deburring Conduit (EMT)

dicko wrote:
What am I doing wrong?

I'm using a tubing cutter to cut 1/2" EMT. Works great, but leaves a
burr on the inside surface of the conduit. So I bought a Greenlee
deburring tool.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/greenlee/54696/

But I cant fit it into the conduit to get the burr off! The burr is
of such a size that it narrows down the inner diameter of the conduit
so much that the tool wont fit into the conduit to do its thing.

Is there a different deburring tool to use? Different cutting tool? Is
this just a crappy deburring tool? Is there something wrong with my
cutting technique?

-dickm

You are using the wrong type of conduit reamer. A traditional conical
shaped reamer is what you need if you insist on using a tubing cutter to
cut the thin wall conduit. If you switch to using a twenty four teeth
per inch hack saw blade then the Greeenlee deburring tool on the conduit
fitting screw driver will work fine for removing any shards of metal
that might damage the insulation of the conductors to be installed.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison