Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default Wow, Popular Magazined advises dangerous procedures

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Jointing well, both edge and face, is a learned art. The machine looks
so bulky and basic but the slightest differences in technique make a
huge difference. You want to get some down pressure on the outfeed
side shortly after the material passess onto that side. For face joint
outfeed is the reference surface that controls the plane of the cut if
things are working correctly. In edge jointing, it and the fence are
equally important.

Everyone develops their own technique and the length and heft of the
material makes a difference too.

Yes, pulling can kind of be effective but the real key is consistency
in pressure and speed across the entire span of the cut.

If you switch from a push to a pull at the cost of loosing consistency
you will be able to find the wave (or worse) in the face surface.

The strangest thing for me is if you push too hard down into the table
you will taper the board, even on a perfectly configured machine. A
smooth fine touch is really needed for excellent jointing. Sharp
blades, a feel for the cut and a few hundred cuts under your belt to
find your chi.

On Jan 17, 6:19 pm, Tanus wrote:
Leon wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
news Leon wrote:
IMHO this is just plain stupid.
Maybe.
I've jointed stock that way with a major difference, no effort is exerted
on the infeed side once at least 6" clears the cutterhead.
Most of the time, I use push blocks. The times I don't are when the stock
is thick and heavy.
With or without blocks, once the stock passes the blades, both of my hands
are on the outfeed side of the machine. I'm PULLING the work across the
cutterhead. If my hand slips it goes AWAY from the blades.
A side benefit to pulling stock over a jointer is that the stock is always
referenced to the outfeed surfaces, and the operator can't unintentionally
rock the board as it moves.
BUT that is if every thing goes well. If every thing goes well no
precautions would need to be observed. What happens if the board you are
running through shatters or the cutters hit an embedded nail or a knot?
The article provides pictures of thin stock.
You really need something and more than a glove between your hand the
jointer cutters should the board not remain in tact.

I don't own a jointer, and I've never
used one.

But this has me curious. Pulling stock
through makes sense after a point. But
you have to get to that point where
there is some stock on the outfeed table.

I would assume that with a piece that's
4' long, you'd push from a safe distance
until you have enough wood on the
outfeed to be able to shift your grip
and pull from there.

Would that be a correct and safe way to
do it?

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I'm getting an idea on how this
works now. It may be a tool I use in the
future, and knowing that it requires
more of a "feel" for it than other tools
is valuable.